Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Medical School and Cars - (excuse me, how are they connected?)

The connection is really simple - I went to college to study pre-med, and couldn't cut the mustard.  My nephew, now a senior in college, just got accepted into med school at his first choice school.  He inspires me, and is into classic cars and LP's.  He asked me if I could list all the cars I'd owned.  So here goes:

My first car was a battleship-gray 1950 Dodge Coronet with a stick shift on the column.  I paid $100 for it from Linda McKay's dad.  It served me well, and even doubled as a Civil Defense Weather Watching vehicle, complete with a CB radio, which I still possess.

From there, as best I remember (and perhaps out of order), I owned:


  • 1964 Rambler station wagon (first gear never worked)
  • 1967 Plymouth Fury 
  • 1968 or 69 Chrysler Newport with push button drive
  • 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge with Tri-power, orange with white vinyl top
  • 1968 Lincoln Town Car
  • 1979 Lincoln Town Car - possibly my all time favorite.
  • 1975 Mercury Grand Marquis
  • 1978 Pontiac Bonneville - up to that point, the first new car (which I rather shortly had to sell to mom and dad as I couldn't afford the payments)
  • 1960-something Mercury Vomit (Comet) - again with no first gear
  • 1982-3 Olds Cutlass Supreme - the first of a string of leased cars, since I finally had a real job.  
  • Another Cutlass
  • An Olds Intrigue
  • Possibly an Olds Alero
  • Pontiac Bonneville - 
  • Mercury Mariner X 2
From the 82 Olds forward, these were either leases or turnovers every 3 years. 

I probably missed a couple along the way, and I may revisit this blog to add some pertinent details on each.

Teaser - the 68 Lincoln had suicide doors, and a "smoke ejector" in the back window.  

Philip - hope this suffices.  Since I'm not really a car guy, I guess I just didn't pay close enough attention over the years.  

I should also note that the last 3 brands I chose have all gone out of business.  What will my next car be, and would you want to buy stock if I told you?





No comments:

Post a Comment